Monday 31 December 2012

New Booksies: epic end of 2012 haul

It's been a long time since I did a New Booksies post. So long, in fact, that I have acquired rather a lot of new books since my last post. I should have done an intermediate post but... I didn't. There was business and laziness and travels, and now it's Christmas. And since there are books to be had for Christmas, I decided to post this on New Year's Eve, since only then can it be all inclusively end of 2012-ish.

I have a lot of books to report. In vaguely chronological order and by category, here it goes...




eARCs from NetGalley:

  • Shadowhunters and Downworlders, edited by Cassandra Clare
  • Dance of Shadows by Yelena Black (Bloomsbury UK/ANZ)
  • Between Two Thorns by Emma Newman (Angry Robot)

Books that flew here from Australia (with my mum):
  • The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling - passed on to me by my mum
  • Salvage by Jason Nahrung - free courtesy of Twelfth Planet Press, due to an issue with the print run (which took me a while to work out). Reviewed already.


Paper books bought from a Real Book Shop (while spending my accrued achievement unlocked books from my read-three-buy-one scheme):
  •  Fire by Kristin Cashore
  •  Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson
  • The Mermaid's Madness by Jim C Hines



Ebook purchase (that totally doesn't count against my book buying restrictions which I'm restructuring in 2013 anyway):
  • Havenstar by Glenda Larke (writing as Glenda Noramly) - which I've already read in long-out of print paper form (acquired second hand thanks to a friend with a second hand book business). But I wanted to support the author, who is one of my favourites, and also to make my husband read it (since the paper book is on another continent). Also, I like this cover more than the old school cover of the original (which was indeed from the 90s, but still).


Review copy & request from a friend:


And then the actual Christmas haul:
  • Earth Girl by Janet Edwards
  • Beauty Queens by Libba Bray - already read and reviewed
  • Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
  • Heart of Iron by Ekaterina Sedia
  • Ash by Malinda Lo


 
 



And then I bought some more books, because they were cheap:
  • After The Darkness by Honey Brown — Australian author and the book sounds like psychological horror, so that will fit nicely with my horror challenge
  • The Penguin Thriller Trilogy — a pack of three books (which aren't a trilogy!):
    • I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore — seen the movie, was interested enough to read the book so I could read the sequel and find out what happens. Although, having started it, I can't get the movie out of my head and I wish I'd read it first!
    • Legend by Marie Lu — one I've seen around a lot but don't know much about. Until I read the blurb I actually assumed it had a male lead because of the cover. Whoops!
    • Matched by Ally Condi — which I'm not actually that keen on, given the premise (arranged marriage dystopia, overcome by LOVE), but might as well give it a go and decide for myself.






6 comments:

  1. Must remember to read more Ekaterina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rescued comment from Shaheen @ Speculating on SpecFic:

    Hahah wow!! Legend is pretty good, a dystopian retelling of Le Mis, I really liked Shatter Me, Alloy of Law is great and it's fun trying to figure out the different theologies/philosophies and how they relate to the characters in Mistborn!

    Great end of 2012 haul, looking forward to the re-structuring! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cool. I didn't realise it was Les Mis either. Going in a bit blind with that part of the pack. I'm rather looking forward to Alloy of Law, just as soon as I'm a fantasy sort of mood. Husband's already read it and enjoyed it.

      Happy new year!

      Delete
  3. That is such a nice cover of Alloy of Law, so so much nicer than the ugly North American edition I have!

    I really enjoyed Shatter Me and the e-book novella, Destroy Me. I have Legend and I Am Number Four but I still haven't read them - same with Matched. I have a huge backlog of YA books I need to get through! (Ugh and I still haven't read Graceling either!)

    I would love to read a Honey Brown book, but they're not available in Canada. :( Soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love Sanderson's UK/ANZ covers (they all match that one). I am generally not a fan of North American covers, especially for adult SF and fantasy books, and much prefer Australian or British covers, so I suppose that means the marketing departments in my neck of the woods are doing their jobs right.

      Region restrictions are so annoying. I'm living in Europe at the moment, and I'm so glad I already had an Australian iTunes account before I moved. Aussie books, particularly in paper form, are so hard to get abroad if they haven't been released by a US/UK publisher as well! (You can if you're super keen, fishpond.com ships around the world, but Aussie books also cost more, which can be off-putting if you're not used to it.)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.