Monday 1 April 2013

Hugo Awards Shortlist

And on the back of all those other shortlists that have recently been announced, we have the Hugo Awards shortlist/ballot. I'm not going to reproduce the whole thing in this post, but you can go read it in full here. I just want to highlight a few categories. Links to my reviews where they exist.

Best Novel
I think this is possibly the first time ever I've read more than one nominated book before the shortlist was announced (of course for Aussie Con 4 back in 2010, I attempted to read all the novels but that was post-announcement). I also have plans to read Redshirts at some point and I've heard lots of good things about the other two books. I must admit I'm partly barracking for the Bujold in the hopes that a win would spur her into writing more Vorkosigan books (apparently she isn't currently planning to!).

Best Fancast
  • The Coode Street Podcast, Jonathan Strahan and Gary K. Wolfe
  • Galactic Suburbia Podcast, Alisa Krasnostein, Alexandra Pierce, Tansy Rayner Roberts (Presenters) and Andrew Finch (Producer)
  • SF Signal Podcast, Patrick Hester, John DeNardo, and JP Frantz
  • SF Squeecast, Elizabeth Bear, Paul Cornell, Seanan McGuire, Lynne M. Thomas, Catherynne M. Valente (Presenters) and David McHone-Chase (Technical Producer)
  • StarShipSofa, Tony C. Smith
In the new category of Best Fancast, it's lovely to see two out of five Australian podcasts — 40%. Go Aussies, go.

Best Fan Writer
  • James Bacon
  • Christopher J. Garcia
  • Mark Oshiro
  • Tansy Rayner Roberts
  • Steven H Silver
And our very own Tansy Rayner Roberts also appears in the Best Fan Writer category, for her blog posts. (Incidentally, she also writes great books.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.