Thursday 24 December 2015

Books I should've read this year but didn't

This is a list of books I bought but didn't get around to reading. It's been a busy year, so a lot of books slipped through the cracks. This list isn't restricted to 2015 releases, although I suspect they will dominate it. I'm also excluding ARCs because I already feel guilty enough about those. These are the purchased books that I'm very keen to read, but just haven't.

In no particular order, books I should've read this year but didn't:

  • Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb
    • Can't believe I haven't read this. Robin Hobb was one of my first favourite authors
  • The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu
    • I love his writing in short story form, so am looking forward to this novel
  • Dreamer's Pool by Juliet Marillier
    • It won the Fantasy Aurealis award this year
  • Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
    • Less behind on this one, since it only came out in December, but it's a book I'd normally start immediately
  • The Pyramid's of London by Andrea K Höst
    • I was looking forward to this for ages, and yet...
  • Sourdough and Other Stories by Angela Slatter
    • I've loved her other stories, but haven't gotten to this collection yet
  • Daughters of the Storm by Kim Wilkins
    •  I love her writing and enjoyed a novella set in the same world
  • City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
    • The last (of six!) books about these characters, that I've had since it came out last year...
  • Thief's Magic by Trudi Canavan
    • Another favourite author and the second book is already out :-/
  • Hal Spacejock: Big Bang by Simon Haynes
    • Who doesn't want more SF laughs?
  • Musketeer Space by Tansy Rayner Roberts
    • To be fair, the normal ebook version of this didn't come out too long ago
  • Rupetta by Nike Sulway
    • Won last year's Tiptree award...
  • A Wrong Turn at the Office of Unmade Lists by Jane Rawson
    • Heard so many good things about this one!
  • The Swan Book by Alexis Wright
    • Bought this a while ago after reading some AWW reviews
  • The Falcon Throne by Karen Miller
    • Another author that I've been following, more or less, for some time.
  • Ambassador 1: Seeing Red by Patty Jansen
    • Been meaning to start this series...
  • Accessing the Future edited by Kathryn Allan 
    • I backed the Kickstarter and, well, it would have been relevant Defying Doomsday research
  • Skin by Ilka Tempke
    • An Aussie author and a book about my favourite Welsh historical/mythological figure, Taliesin

And that's just the ebooks... But here is a screen shot of most of them (as many as I could fit on the screen at once).


And then there are the paper books. I'm probably going to miss one of these because I'm basically making this list by line of sight, which has been compromised by my rearrangement of books by height (to make more aesthetically pleasing real estate photos). I also resorted to LibraryThing to check which books are actually at hand. Furthermore, I enjoy reading ebooks more than paperbooks, so I think the ebooks have a higher chance of being read sooner rather than later. But here it goes:

  • Newt's Emerald by Garth Nix
    • A newish purchase, but everyone has been saying good things
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow by Ambelin Kwaymullina
    • The third book is already out and I enjoyed the first book
  • Earthgirl by Janet Edwards
    • Been in my TBR for quite some time
  • The Year's Best Australian Fantasy and Horror 2013 edited by Liz Grzyb and Talie Helene
    • Because it has the best stories, duh
  • Year's Best Young Adult Speculative Fiction 2013 edited by Julia Rios and Alisa Krasnostein
    • As above
  • Firefight by Brandon Sanderson
    • The second book in a series I enjoyed the first book of
  • Miss Mayhem by Rachel Hawkins
    • Fun YA romp. I almost started reading it once, but decided I wasn't quite in the mood, alas
  • Rebel Nation by Shaunta Grimes
    • The first book was great.
  • Midnight and Moonshine by Lisa L Hannett and Angela Slatter
    • Promises to be an excellent read
  • Altered by Gennifer Albin
    • I really liked the first book, which I read some years ago.
  • The Long War by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter
    • Got this and the next book waiting for me.
  • Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson
    • The first of the series, but related to the original Mistborn trilogy, which I enjoyed
  • When We Wake by Karen Healey
    • A YA read I've been interested in for some time
No images for the paperbooks, mainly due to laziness.

So those are my books that I should've read but haven't. What books do you have hanging over your head? Did this list add anything to your TBR? Which book do you think is most pressing for me to read, from this list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.