Wednesday 18 July 2012

New Booksies (13)



The Dark Griffin by K J Taylor





The Griffin's Flight by K J Taylor





The Griffin's War by K J Taylor





Showtime by Narrelle M Harris





The Female Man by Joanna Russ





The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf


These are the last of the books I’m allowing myself to buy in Australia. Obviously I’d always like more, but weight limits are starting to be relevant (also, the whole not being made of money thing…)

First up, I visited the new Embiggen Books shop in Melbourne, which is where a Twelfth Planet Press event took place during Craftinomicon. It was a bit meta because I ended up browsing the bookshop while listening to a podcast recorded IN the book shop. Anyway, of the TPP books the had remaining, Showtime by Narrelle Harris was the one I found which I didn’t already have. So that was nice. I’ve already reviewed it, too.

Then I decided to by the K J Taylor trilogy about griffins, The Fallen Moon series. Because I could (just) and because I’ve been hearing good things and she’s Australian and female and those traits tend to bode well for my enjoyment.

Finally, quite by chance, I stumbled upon The Female Man by Joanna Russ in a second hand bookshop in the sticks of southern NSW. After all the mentions on Galactic Suburbia, I couldn’t not by it. I don’t think I have room for it in my luggage, though, so I don’t expect to be reading it too soon (on the other hand, I already have the Extra Ordinary People collection by Russ waiting for me on the other side of the world, so I won’t be completely deprived).

Finally, I found a copy of The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf by Ambelin Kwaymullina in a new local indie bookshop, which was cool. It’s a recent release so I wasn’t sure if I would be able to find it (and it’s not by a giant publisher, which makes it all the harder to get overseas/in ebook). So I’m looking forward to reading that soon, possibly trying to finish it before I leave, but we’ll see how that pans out.

And that’s it! Soon it’s back to my regularly scheduled read-three-buy-one programming, so I’m not sure when I’ll next be posting about new booksies :-/ Would that I could always buy all the books. Alas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.