Wednesday 3 April 2013

New Booksies

I went on a bit of a non-counting towards restrictions book buying spree over the weekend because I was sick and feeling sorry for myself and it was some sort of public holiday. I recovered from the sick the day after the purchase which strongly indicates to me that I should've bought all the books earlier. Obviously.

I bought Lab Rat One and Caszandra by Andrea K Höst, the rest of the Touchstone Trilogy that started with Stray. And because I saw it and half of it was Aurealis shortlisted, I also bought her Medair duology (in one volume with, sadly, a less nice cover than the separate novels).


 

I also bought Rare Unsigned Copy, a short story collection by Simon Petrie and Blood and Dust, the multi-award nominated novel by Jason Nahrung. And not part of my buying spree but bought as an achievement unlocked book, Valley of Shields by Duncan Lay, the sequel to Bridge of Swords.



I received two review copies this week: The Pirate's Wish by Cassandra Rose Clarke, the sequel to The Assassin's Curse, which I loved last year; and Awakening by Karen Sandler, the sequel to Tankborn which I've been meaning to get a hold of and haven't gotten around to (and which has a prettier cover than the sequel).


Whoo, books!

On a related note, you might be interested in having a look at my speculative fiction round up for the Australian Women Writers Challenge, over on their website.

6 comments:

  1. I gave some of Simon's stories from that collection to my students to read, because he originally thought of it as YA. Not really, but it was an interesting experiment. There are some of his weirder stories in there. If you're buying books because of short listings, Light Touch Paper Stand Clear on the PBB web site is short listed for a Ditmar, as is one of the stories, The Bone Chime Song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but I have an ARC of The Bone Chime Song and Other Stories. But more seriously, the main reason I haven't got to LTPSC is that I feel a little overwhelmed with short stories at the moment. Four or five volumes demanding my near-future attention. I will try to get to it when I'm less snowed under. I've added it to my GR "want" shelf to remind me.

      Delete
  2. Yes, but it is on the Ditmars list for "best collection" not just for Joanne's story, and you did indicate you were reading the short listed stuff. ;-) Of course, you may not be in a rush, because you're not voting while overseas.

    I believe they'll send you an e-review copy when you're ready to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've worn me down and you do have a point; I'm a supporting member of Conflux so I am voting in the Ditmars.

      Who do I contact about a review copy?

      Delete
    2. There's a link on the PBB web site but I ave emailed this post to Edwina Harvey and Simon Petrie for you.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Sue. I actually already got a copy from Simon yesterday :-)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.