I have been feeling more relaxed though and have been reading more. That said, feeling relaxed also means I've been reading more longer things, so I don't think my actual review output has changed significantly. Oh well.
Oh, also, the Aurealis shortlist was announced since my last update. I have a post collecting the Aurealis, Ditmar and Norma K Hemming award shortlists here.
What have I read?
- The Wicked + The Divine Vol 3: Commercial Suicide by Kieron Gillen — the continuing story of gods being reincarnated every 90 years
- Sugar Scars by Travis Norwood — a disappointing look at a post-apocalyptic America through the eyes of a diabetic (I had high hopes)
- Black Widow Vol 1: The Finely Woven Thread by Nathan Edmondson and Phil Noto — my first foray into Black Widow comics, which I enjoyed
- Sourdough and Other Stories by Angela Slatter — <3 one of my favourite writers of short fiction
- Kaptara Vol 1: Fear Not, Tiny Alien by Chip Zdarsky — a surreal SF comic with astronauts stranded on a pretty weird planet
- Runaways: Battleworld by Noelle Stevenson and Sanford Greene — a weird Secret Wars concoction riffing off the original Runaways series
- The Lyre Thief by Jennifer Fallon — the first in a new series set in the same world as The Demon Child Trilogy and the Hythrun Chronicles
- Captive by Amanda Pillar — a novella set in the same universe as Graced
- An Alphabet of Embers edited by Rose Lemberg — an anthology of mostly surreal flash fiction
- The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Liu — a gorgeous collection of the writer's best stories
What am I currently reading?
I also just started reading Monstrous Little Voices, an anthology of Shakespeare retellings, although they are turning out to be less direct retellings than I expected. So far, even better than I expected.
I went on a bit of a buying-spree to celebrate finishing my PhD (and also to take advantage of a few sales). This is a longer list than usual...
- Mars Evacuees by Sophia McDougall — bought because cheap
- Black Widow Volume 1: The Finely Woven Thread by Nathan Edmondson — gift
- Batgirl Vol. 1: The Batgirl of Burnside by Brenden Fletcher — gift
- Flesh & Wires by Jackie Hatton — for review
- The Lyre Thief by Jennifer Fallon — bought because fan
- Black Widow Volume 2: The Tightly Tangled Web by Nathan Edmondson — bought because can
- Spider-Woman Vol. 2: New Duds by Dennis Hopeless — as above
- Black Widow Vol. 3: Last Days by Nathan Edmondson — as above
- The August Birds by Octavia Cade — for review
- Signal to Noise by Silvia Moreno-Garcia — bought because heard good things
- Legion by Brandon Sanderson — bought because cheap
- Legion: Skin Deep by Brandon Sanderson — sequel to above
- Please Do Not Taunt the Octopus by Mira Grant — bought because title
- Broken Nation by Shaunta Grimes — bought because series
- Bloodlines by Amanda Pillar — bought because friend
- An Alphabet of Embers by Rose Lemberg — for review
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab — bought because cheap
- The Beatriceid by Kate Elliott — bought because podcast
- The Terracotta Bride by Zen Cho — bought because cheap
- Rae And Essa's Space Adventures by Donna Maree Hanson — bought because sequel