Monday 17 March 2014

Supurbia Volume 4 by Grace Randolph

To say this is a review of Supurbia Volume 4 is not entirely accurate. As I write this, Volume 4 has not been released yet and, according to Goodreads, won't be until August or possibly July. What this is a review of, is the four issues that will make up Volume 4. They're also the last four issues of the complete story arc, with an epilogue and everything. I have previously reviewed Volumes 1, 2 and 3.

In this (set of) installment(s), we learn some more uncomfortable truths about Hella's past and her present, particularly with Sovereign. The tensions between Night Fox and Agent Twilight were resolved somewhat dramatically and if there wasn't so much other stuff going on, I would have liked to have seen more of that. There's a lot of action in this last set of issues as the climax builds on, well, everything that's come before it.

Just as Supurbia is an unconventional superhero story, so does the resolution of this story arc follow an unconventional path. Honestly, I'm not sure I can say much without spoilers. I will say, however, that everything is tied up nicely; there's even an epilogue section set some time after the main action. There are also some unanswered questions left as a hook for (hopefully) more issues in the future.

Overall, Supurbia was a very enjoyable read. As I've said my my reviews of the earlier instalments, I highly recommend Supurbia to fans of superhero comics, especially the more unconventional ones, and anyone who enjoys narratives which buck the status quo. I think it's a good place to start for people unfamiliar with comics but with any passing familiarity with — for example — superhero movies. I think we've all absorbed the tropes through cultural osmosis, even if we're not hardcore fans.



4. 5 / 5 stars

First published: August 2014? BOOM! Studios (Individual issues published 2013)
Series: Yes. Supurbia Ongoing issues #9–12 out of 12 so far (where #12 ties off a complete story)
Format read: eComic on iPad
Source: Purchased (as individual issues) from ComiXology

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.