And the shortlistees are:The Norma K. Hemming Award marks excellence in the exploration of themes of race, gender, sexuality, class and disability:
- in the form of science fiction and fantasy or related artwork or media.
- produced either in Australia or by Australian citizens.
- first published, released or presented in the calendar year preceding the year in which the award is given.
- A Very Unusual Pursuit – City of Orphans by Catherine Jinks (Allen & Unwin)
- Caution: Contains Small Parts by Kirstyn McDermott (Twelfth Planet Press)
- Dark Serpent by Kylie Chan (HarperVoyager)
- Fairytales for Wilde Girls by Allyse Near (Random House) — my review
- Rupetta by N. A. Sulway (Tartarus Press (UK))
- Trucksong by Andrew Macrae (Twelfth Planet Press)
I haven't heard much about the Catherine Jinks book or the Kylie Chan (although I've read other books by Chan in the same series) but the others are all on my teetering TBR pile (well, imaginary electronic pile) and I look forward to getting to them.