What have I read?
- Blades of the Old Empire by Anna Kashina, which I enjoyed and then got annoyed at random goodreads reviewers over.
- Assured Destruction by Michael F Stewart — this was a good, fun series. It improved as it went along...
- Script Kiddie by Michael F Stewart , the second book in the Assured Destruction trilogy...
- With Zombies by Michael F Stewart, was the third and — in my opinion — best book of the trilogy. It inspired my "Blogging Against Disablism" post.
- Dimension6, Issue 1, a new Australian online zine
- The Immortal Crown by Richelle Mead, the sequel to Gameboard of the Gods and maintaining the things I liked about the first book, while introducing some new elements
- Rules of Summer by Shaun Tan — my review was of the ebook "app" version of the picture book. It was a really interesting experience, on top of the lovely art.
- Dead Americans and Other Stories by Ben Peek, a collection of slightly weird stories by an Australian author.
What am I currently reading?
I started reading Stolen Songbird by Danielle L Jensen, but didn't get very far (but far enough for the title to take place) before feeling pretty meh about it all. I think I'll probably finish it, but later. It definitely won't compare favourably to Spurrier's book.
So instead, I just started reading Feather Bound by Sarah Roughley. Haven't gotten far enough to form an opinion yet. I also plan to start reading The Back of the Back of Beyond by Edwina Harvey to fit some short stories around the novels.
- Rules of Summer by Shaun Tan — already reviewed
- North Star Guide Me Home by Jo Spurrier <3
- The Girl in the Road by Monica Byrne — looks interesting
- Heirs of the Demon King: Uprising by Sarah Cawkwell — new fantasy author to try
- Use Only As Directed edited by Simon Petrie and Edwina Harvey — upcoming anthology of ANZ writers
- The Back of the Back of Beyond by Edwina Harvey — collection of linked short stories
- Lock In by John Scalzi — future virus thing plus social consequences, as far as I can tell
- Some Fine Day by Kat Ross — YA science fiction
- The Buried Life by Carrie Patel — gaslamp fantasy/mystery, I think
- Innocence Lost by Patty Jansen — first in a new series. Fantasy.